Student Services

General Advising FAQ's


Q:  What classes should I take next semester?
A:  AA degree seeking students may meet with an academic advisor in any of the Advising Centers to review what is needed to complete their degree.  AS and baccalaureate degree seeking students may meet with the program director of their respective programs.  

Q:  How can I make an AA advising appointment?
A:  Students are able to schedule an appointment to meet with a Student Services Advisor via our online appointment scheduler.

Q:  What are the walk-in hours for the Advising Center?
A:  Advisors will meet with students on a walk-in basis between 8:30 AM and 5:30 PM on Mondays and Tuesdays, and 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM on Wednesday through Friday. 

Q:  I keep getting a prerequisite/test score error when I try to register for a class. 
A:  Some courses have prerequisite or test score requirements that must be completed before registering for that class. You can find course prerequisites by reviewing the course description in the SCF online Catalog. 

Q:  The class I want to register for is closed.  How can I register for a closed class?
A:   A class is closed once the maximum designated number of students have registered for the class. To see if space opens-- you can regularly check the course in SCF Connect to see if a seat becomes available.

Q:  What is the difference between dropping a class and withdrawing from a class?
A:  Students may drop a class before the add/drop deadline at the beginning of each semester through MySCF.  A tuition refund is offered for dropped classes. After the add/drop deadline students may withdraw from a course before the withdrawal deadline as posted in the SCF Academic Calendar.  Course withdrawals will count as an attempt toward completing that course and are not eligible for a tuition refund.

Q:  How many credits can I register for each semester? 
A:  Students are permitted to enroll in up to 18 credit hours per semester without special approval.  AA degree seeking students wishing to enroll in more than 18 credit hours must seek approval from an advisor. AS and baccalaureate degree seeking students must seek approval from their Program Manager. 

Q:  May I retake a course for a higher grade?
A:  Yes. Courses where a student earned a D, F, 'WF', or W grade may be repeated a second time for grade forgiveness. Students may not repeat courses with grades of C or higher. 

Q:  What is Grade Forgiveness?
A:  Students who repeat and pass a course on the second attempt will receive grade forgiveness. A student's GPA  will be adjusted so the last attempt of the repeated course will be included in the overall GPA calculation. The original grade will continue to show on the transcript, but will be marked with an “E” (excluded in the GPA) to indicate that the course was repeated.

Q: Can I register for the same course for a third time? 
A:  Yes. Students who do not successfully complete a course after a second attempt, may register for that class a third time. note: the Florida Legislature passed House Bill 1545, effective July 1, 1997. This bill requires that students enrolled in the same undergraduate college credit course or developmental course more than two times shall pay fees at 100 percent of the full cost of instruction. (For purposes of this assessment, the Florida Legislature considers 100 percent of the full cost of instruction to be equal to the non-Florida resident fee.)

Q:  I have completed all the requirements for my degree, what do I do now?
A:  Once you have finished all your degree requirements you must submit a Graduation Application. Applications and information about graduating can be found on the Office of the Registrar website.  

Page Edit