Student Services

Establishing Initial Florida Residency for Tuition Purposes

When applying for college in the state of Florida, it must be determined if you are a resident for tuition purposes. 

Florida State Statute 1009.21: Determination of resident status for tuition purposes

Florida Residency Determination by Visa Type

Residency Classification

To be considered a Florida resident for tuition purposes, you must have lived in the state of Florida for at least the previous 12 consecutive months; all documentation proving Florida residency must be at least 12 consecutive months old or older and must be current/valid including Florida driver license, Florida vehicle registration, and Florida voter registration.
Per s. 1009.21(3)(c), Florida statutes, the residency determination must be documented by the submission of written or electronic verification that includes two or more of the documents identified in the Acceptable Residency Documents.
No single piece of evidence shall be conclusive.    
All documentation must be submitted prior to the published deadlines in the college academic calendar
Documentation from the Department of Children and Family Services and/or proof of homeless status may be considered for Florida residency for tuition purposes.  Pursuant to s. 1009.21, F.S., applicants may qualify as a Florida resident for tuition purposes based on permitted exceptions. Permitted exceptions are identified in the Qualification by Exception document.  Documentation is required.
To submit your Residency Statement and supporting documentation, please connect with us in one of the following ways:
• In person at one of our campuses 
• Scan and email to
• Fax to 941-727-6024
• Mail to: SCF Admissions, 5840 26th St. W., Bradenton, FL 34207

Florida Residency Affidavit Form

This form must be signed digitally. Download the form and open with Adobe Acrobat to apply your digital signature.

Florida Residency Affidavit

Residency Reclassification

If you are a current student and wish to reclassify to a Florida resident, please visit the Residency Reclassification page.

Page Edit