Graduation Ceremony Information
Spring 2015 Graduation Ceremony
Students who applied to graduate by the Spring 2015 deadline (January 23rd) and are approved will be listed in the graduation ceremony program. These students are invited to participate in the Graduation Ceremony, provided they submit the online graduation attendance form by Friday, April 3, 2015.
Graduates are required to wear New Navy-Shiny finish regalia (cap, gown, and tassel) purchased from
The SCF Store at SCF Bradenton, SCF Venice, or online at: www.scf.edu/bookstore. Approximate cost: $36.
Please purchase the New Navy-Shiny finish cap, gown, and tassel for the Spring 2015 Graduation ceremony. Students will NOT be able to participate in the ceremony wearing the matte cap and gown that was used in previous ceremonies. Follow the instructions on the package to steam/press the gown.
Men: white dress shirts, neckties, dark shoes and dark trousers under their gowns.
Women: dark shoes and dark dress or slacks under their gowns.
*All tassels should be worn on the right side.
Phi Theta Kappa
Phi Theta Kappa members may go to www.ptk.org to purchase, optional honor cord, stole & tassel. Cost approximately $45.
Guest Tickets and Seating
Guest Tickets will be distributed at a later date; please check back for more information.The following items are not permitted in the Hall:
- Food or Drinks (including water)
- Air horns
- Beach balls (and similar items)
Graduates with special needs will be accommodated. Please contact the Disability Resource Center at least two weeks in advance: (941) 752-5295 or TTY (941) 751-8179.
There is no pre-assigned seating for guests with disabilities, however, limited wheelchair seating is available and spaces are on a first come, first served basis. It is suggested guests arrive at 6:00 p.m.
Guests requiring American Sign Language interpreting should email the Disability Resource Center at least two weeks in advance: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please safeguard your guest tickets. We will not be able to replace lost tickets.
Ceremony Arrival Time: 5:30pm (earlier is not necessary)
Students will NOT be able to participate in the graduation ceremony wearing the matte cap and gown. We caution you against purchasing gowns from other locations or borrowing from past graduates.
- Pick up your ceremony card at the graduate check-in tables.
- Confirm your name and address are correct on your ceremony card.
- It is recommended that you speak to graduation reader if your name is difficult to pronounce.
- You may not carry anything with you other than the ceremony card you are given.
- YOUR PERSONAL ITEMS (PURSES, KEYS, BACKPACKS, CELL PHONES, HANGERS, SUNGLASSES, ETC.) SHOULD BE LEFT WITH FAMILY MEMBERS OR FRIENDS BEFORE ARRIVING AT GRADUATE CHECK-IN. SCF staff will not be available to watch your belongings.
- Please: Turn off cell phones before the ceremony begins.
Guest Seating: 6:00pm-6:45pm
- There is no pre-assigned seating for guests with disabilities, however, limited wheelchair seating is available and these spaces are on a first come, first served basis. It is suggested guests arrive at 6:00 p.m.
- Guests should plan be seated by 6:45 p.m. or their seats may be given to other guests. No guests will be seated during the processional. Late arrivals will be seated after the processional has entered.
- Guests requiring American Sign Language interpreting should email the Disability Resource Center at least two weeks in advance: (941) 752-5295 or TTY (941) 751-8179.
During the Ceremony
- Please: Turn off cell phones.
- Graduates are expected to stay until the end of the ceremony which will last approximately two hours.
- Men are expected to remove their caps for the National Anthem.
Graduate Announcement & Crossing the Stage
- Graduate Marshals will signal each row to stand and proceed to the front left of the stage.
- Graduates will hand their ceremony card to the reader who will announce the graduate.
- When your name is read, walk directly toward the center of the stage.
- Proceed across the stage to receive the diploma cover from SCF President Dr. Probstfeld and a professional photographer will take your picture.
Graduates who submit their application by the posted deadline will have his/her name, degree(s) (or certificate), and honors listed in the commencement program.
Honors designation for commencement for spring degree candidates is based on the last term completed prior to Spring 2015. The final grade point average after Spring 2015 grades are posted will be used to determine honors recognition for the official transcript and diploma.
- SCF's Office of Public Affairs and Marketing has arranged for professional photographs to be taken of each graduate. Two photos will be taken: one while receiving the diploma cover from the College President and one after exiting the stage.
- The ceremony will be videotaped and available for viewing at a later date on the SCF Graduation webpage.
NOTE: Personal cameras and camcorders may be used only from attendees' seats.
After the Ceremony
At the close of the ceremony, guests should remain at their seats until the platform party, faculty, and all graduates have recessed. Please ask your guests to meet you outside the Hall.
After the College has certified the degrees and certificates, diplomas and certificates will be mailed to the address listed on your application for graduation; please allow 6-8 weeks for certification and shipping.