Graduation Ceremony Information
Spring 2017 Graduation Ceremony
Graduates are required to wear New Navy-Shiny finish regalia (cap, gown, and tassel) purchased from
The SCF Store at SCF Bradenton or SCF Venice. Please call the bookstore at 941-752-5080 with questions. Available approximately 1 month prior to graduation.
Bookstore hours: Monday 8:00 am - 6:00 pm; Tuesday - Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Please purchase the New Navy-Shiny finish cap, gown, and tassel for the Spring 2017 Graduation ceremony. Students will NOT be able to participate in the ceremony wearing the matte cap and gown that was used in ceremonies prior to Spring 2015. Follow the instructions on the package to steam/press the gown.
Students will NOT be able to participate in the graduation ceremony wearing the matte cap and gown. We caution you against purchasing gowns from other locations or borrowing from past graduates.
Men: white dress shirts, neckties, dark shoes and dark trousers under their gowns.
Women: dark shoes and dark dress or slacks under their gowns.
*All tassels should be worn on the right side.
Phi Theta Kappa
Phi Theta Kappa members may go to www.ptk.org to purchase, optional honor cord, stole & tassel.
If you are a Veteran of the United States Armed Forces, and you are planning to participate in the graduation ceremony; SCF would like to honor your service with red, white and blue cords to be worn as part of your official graduation regalia.
Please contact Veteran Services to confirm your intent to participate in the graduation ceremony. If you are not currently using a VA Educational Benefit, you will be required to provide a copy of your military separation paperwork (DD214), or a valid Veteran ID card to the office of Veteran Services. We can also be reached at (941) 752-5075.
*There is no added regalia for honors
Guest Tickets for the Spring 2017 Graduation Ceremony will be available for pickup
closer to the ceremony date, Friday, May 5, 2017
Ceremony Arrival Time/Graduate Check-In
- Graduates must arrive by 5:45 pm
- Park in the main parking lot and enter through the main lobby entrance.
- Pick up your ceremony card at the graduate check-in tables.
- Confirm your name & address are correct on your ceremony card. It is recommended that you speak to graduation reader if your name is difficult to pronounce.
- You may not carry anything with you other than the ceremony card you are given.
- YOUR PERSONAL ITEMS (PURSES, KEYS, BACKPACKS, CELL PHONES, HANGERS, SUNGLASSES, ETC.) SHOULD BE LEFT WITH FAMILY MEMBERS OR FRIENDS BEFORE ARRIVING AT GRADUATE CHECK-IN. SCF staff will not be available to watch your belongings.
- Please: Turn off cell phones before the ceremony begins.
- Remain in check-in area with your cap, gown and tassel.
- You will line up according to degree (not in alphabetical order or by major).
- Final processional line-up begins promptly at 6:45 pm.
- Processional into the auditorium to assigned seating begins promptly at 7:00 pm.
- Graduates with special needs will be accommodated. Please contact the Disability Resource Center at least two weeks in advance: (941) 752-5295 or TTY (941) 751-8179.
- Please park in the main parking lot and enter through the Main Lobby
- All guests, including infants and children, must have a ticket for entrance into the Auditorium.
- Reserved seating is only for graduates.
- Doors open at 6:00 pm and guests will need to be seated by 6:45 pm. The doors will be closed to guests promptly at 6:50 pm for the processional.
- Late arriving guests will be seated after the processional of graduates.
- There is no pre-assigned seating for guests with disabilities, however, limited wheelchair seating is available and these spaces are on a first come, first served basis. It is suggested guests arrive at 6:00 p.m.
- Guests requiring American Sign Language interpreting should email the Disability Resource Center at least two weeks in advance: (941) 752-5295 or TTY (941) 751-8179.
- The following items are not permitted in the Hall:
- Food or Drinks (including water)
- Air horns
- Beach balls (and similar items)
During the Ceremony
- Please: Turn off cell phones.
- Graduates are expected to stay until the end of the ceremony which will last approximately two hours.
- Men are expected to remove their caps for the National Anthem.
Graduate Announcement & Crossing the Stage
- Graduate Marshalls will signal each row to stand and proceed to the front left of the stage.
- Graduates will hand their ceremony card to the reader who will announce the graduate.
- When your name is read, walk directly toward the center of the stage.
- Proceed across the stage to receive the diploma cover from SCF President Dr. Probstfeld and a professional photographer will take your picture.
Graduates who submit their application by the posted deadline will have his/her name, degree(s) (or certificate), and honors listed in the commencement program.
Honors designation for commencement for fall degree candidates is based on the last term completed prior to Fall 2016. The final grade point average after Summer 2016 grades are posted will be used to determine honors recognition for the official transcript and diploma.
- SCF's Office of Public Affairs and Marketing has arranged for professional photographs to be taken of each graduate. Two photos will be taken: one while receiving the diploma cover from the College President and one after exiting the stage.
- The ceremony will be videotaped and available for viewing at a later date on the SCF Graduation webpage.
NOTE: Personal cameras and camcorders may be used only from attendees' seats.
After the Ceremony
At the close of the ceremony, guests should remain at their seats until the platform party, faculty, and all graduates have recessed. Please ask your guests to meet you outside the facility.
After the College has certified the degrees and certificates, diplomas and certificates will be mailed to the address listed on your application for graduation; please allow 6-8 weeks for certification and shipping.