Student Services

Transfer of Entitlement



The Defense Department announced on June 23, 2009 its policy for transferring educational benefits to the spouses and children of service members under the "Post 9/11 GI Bill," which takes effect Aug. 1, 2009.

Career service members on active duty or in the selected reserve on August 1, 2009, and who are eligible for the "Post 9/11 GI Bill," may be entitled to transfer all or a portion of their education entitlement to one or more family members. To be eligible, service members must have served in the Armed Forces for at least six years, and agree to serve four additional years, from the date of election to transfer.

Service members with at least 10 years of service, who by DOD or service policy are prevented from committing to four additional years, may transfer their benefits provided they commit for the maximum amount of time allowed by such policy or statute.

Additionally, to maintain proper force structure and promotion opportunities, temporary rules have been developed for service members eligible to retire between Aug. 1, 2009 and Aug. 1, 2012. Depending on their retirement eligibility date, these service members will commit to one to three additional years, from the date of election to transfer.

The services will provide further implementation guidance. Beginning June 29, 2009, eligible service members were able to make transfer designations by visiting this Web site:  (To view the information, after you click on the link, you will need to select to continue to the Web site).

DOD will electronically transmit TOE information to VA and simultaneously electronically notify the family of eligibility.  Eligible students then complete a VA Form 22-1990e, Application for Transfer of Entitlement.  This form can be completed on the GI Bill Web site and submitted electronically to VA.  Alternately, a PDF version of the form is available at that same site.  It may be printed, completed, and mailed to VA.  Students should notcomplete and submit a 22-1990e until after their family has been notified by DOD that they are eligible.

Once you complete your 22-1990e, submit it to a school certifying official in the financial aid office on the Venice or Bradenton campuses.

Page Edit