Licensing & Certification
Another provision of Public Law 106-419, this benefit is available to veterans who are eligible under Chapters 30, 32, 33, 35 or Section 903. It pays for the cost of tests required for specific licenses required by state agencies to practice an occupation or certifications which are generally recognized as necessary for the pursuit of a specific career. Payment is limited to $2,000 per test and is effective only for tests taken on or after March 1, 2001. It should be further noted that this benefit pays only for the cost of the test. It does not pay for the cost of the license or certification itself, any other related costs, or any courses a student may take to prepare for the test.
Individuals must be eligible to receive VA education payments under Chapter 30, 32, 33, 35, or Section 903
Licensing and certification tests must be specifically approved by SAAs for this benefit. Once approval has been granted, that information is entered into the Licensing And Certification Approval System (LACAS). Only SAAs and Education Liaison Representatives (ELRs) have the authority to enter
courses into LACAS; however, the general public can view it to see which licensing and certification tests are approved nationwide. It is available on the Internet at https://www.gibill.va.gov/pamphlets/LC_brochure.pdf
- If you have not already done so, you must file an original application for education benefits using the application form appropriate for his/her benefit (e.g., VA Form 22-1990, 5490, etc).
- There is no form to specifically apply for this benefit. The best way to apply is for you to send the Atlanta RPO a copy of yourr test results with a note or VA Form 21-4138 (Statement in Support of Claim) stating that they are requesting reimbursement for the cost of their licensing or certification exam. The statement must include at least the following:
- Name of the test you took
- Name and address of the organization issuing the license or certificate (not necessarily the organization that administered the test).
- Date you took the test
- Cost of the test
- The following statement: "I authorize release of my test information to VA"