Placement Test / Retake Information
SCF College Students:
Entrance Examinations and Placement of Students
SCF wants each student to be successful in achieving his or her educational goals. The College administers the Postsecondary Education Readiness Test (PERT) for placement purposes. Application to SCF is required before assessment. PERT has three (3) subsections - reading, writing and mathematics. The test has no time limits, however, most students complete all three (3) subsections in approximately 3-3.5 hours. To prepare for the placement test and to schedule a testing appointment, go to scf.edu/Testing. SCF allows students to take PERT two (2) times per term. A term is defined as fall, spring, and summer per the official academic calendar. Note: There is a retake fee for each subsection of the placement test.
Commencing January 2014 and pursuant to Florida Statute 1008.30, and Rule 6A-10.0315, F.A.C., students are required to satisfy one of the following prior to entering State College of Florida as a degree seeking student.
Students who entered 9th grade in a Florida public school in 2003-04 or thereafter must provide a standard Florida high school diploma.
All others must provide test scores taken within the last two years for any of the following:
- American College Testing – Enhanced ACT
- Scholastic Aptitude Test – SAT
- Postsecondary Education Readiness Test – PERT
- College Entry Level Placement Test – Accuplacer
Placement test scores are not required for:
- Active duty military or
- Students applying for transfer or readmission status who have satisfactorily completed college level English, reading, and/or mathematics courses.
For addtional infomation please see How do I know IF I need to take the placement test?
The State Board of Education establishes cut-off scores for placement purposes.
Placement Test Retakes
All placement test scores remain valid for two (2) years. SCF allows students to take PERT two (2) times per term. A term is defined as fall, spring, and summer per the official academic calendar. Note: There is a retake fee for each subsection of the placement test.
Eligible to request a test retake
Students are eligible to request a retake of the Florida placement test, PERT, under the following circumstances:
- Never attempted a developmental education (preparatory) course in the subject area for which they are requesting a retake.
- Students who have attempted a developmental education (preparatory) course and did not successfully complete the course must receive written permission from the department chair of the subject area for which they are requesting a retake. The department chair will provide the Assessment/Testing Center will a copy of this written permission.
Ineligible to request a test retake
Students are ineligible to retake the placement test, PERT, when their request is based upon, but not limited to, the following reasons:
- Students cannot be currently enrolled in the developmental education (preparatory) course for which they base their retest request.
- Students who wish to circumvent developmental education (preparatory) courses by retesting.
Students requesting to appeal this policy may submit their written appeal to the Director of the Assessment/Testing Center. The Florida Placement Test (FPT) Retake Appeal Committee will review the appeal and mail their decision to the student within ten (10) working days after receiving the request. A copy of the letter will be filed in the Assessment/Testing Center. All committee decisions are final.
ACT and SAT
Students who have taken the ACT and/or SAT and have scores that place them into college-level coursework in reading, writing and/or mathematics may use these scores as an alternative to the corresponding sections of PERT. Students may use the ACT and/or SAT scores if the scores are less than two (2) years old and are at the level or above the scores posted on the Assessment/Testing Center website, scf.edu/Testing, in accordance with Florida Statute 240.321 and SCF Rule 6HX14-4.04.
Retake Testing Fees
SCF has implemented a placement assessment retest fee of $10 per subsection beginning July 1, 2010.
Dual Enrollment / Early College Students:
State College of Florida's agreements with Manatee and Sarasota Schools specifies the Dual Enrollment/Early College students may take the SCF Placement Test only one time per term not to exceed two attempts per calendar year.
The Assessment & Testing Center adheres to all deadlines (all materials including test scores must be submitted by the deadline dates) listed on the Early College web page.
Assessment & Testing Center Staff does not interpret test results. For assistance on test results clarification please contact the high school guidance counselor.