Title III, REA 0001
Introduction to College Prep Reading
All Florida college students are required to take the College Placement Test (CPT) prior to beginning college classes. All students who scored between 0 and 42 on the CPT are required to complete REA0001 and REA0002.
The course is designed to prepare students for
The course focuses on critical and literal reading skills and improvement of vocabulary.
At the end of the course, students should be able to:
- Identify word meanings based on knowledge of context clues.
- Recognize main ideas in paragraphs and longer reading selections.
- Recognize major details in paragraphs.
- Identify transition words in paragraphs.
- Identify patterns in paragraph organization.
- Distinguish between statements of fact and opinion.
- Identify author's purpose in a reading selection.
- Demonstrate the ability to draw logical inferences based on a reading selection.
- Identify author's tone in a reading selection.
- Recognize common logical fallacies in arguments.
Your instructor will provide information about your
In order to sit for the Final Exam, student must have a 70% or higher class average. Students must score 70% or higher to pass the Exam and move into REA0002.
Online Tutoring and Study Skills
A collection of web sites to help students enhance study skills and to provide tutoring support is available on the MCC web site.