Title III, EAP 0220 Reading II,
VOCABULARY IN CONTEXT Practice Exam
Choose the correct definition of the word in italics.
1. Data about the moon's surface include information gained from photos and soil samples.
2. Many healthy, elderly people are vigorous enough to enjoy
such activities as swimming, jogging and biking.
a. having difficulty learning
b. having energy
3. It is not appropriate to wear cut-off jeans to most job interviews.
Nor is it suitable to smoke during an interview.
4. College students often complain that a course is
either overly complex or too simple.
5. Tidal waves sometimes accelerate until they reach a
speed of 450 miles and hour.
a. slow down
b. speed up
Choose the most general word.
6. anger love fear emotion envy
7. parrot kitten goldfish hamster pet
8. square circle triangle shape diamond
9. up down sideways direction north
10. "hello" greeting a wave "hi" open arms
Choose the topic and the main idea statement of each paragraph.
(1)Headaches have two main causes. (2)Research shows that most headaches result from muscle tension. (3)And the most common reason for that muscle tension is continuing stress. (4)Headaches can also be cause by changes in the supply of blood to the head. (5)Such changes are often reactions to pollen and food chemicals.
11. The topic is
c. muscle tension as a cause of headaches
12. The main idea is stated in sentence
a . 1
(1)People who are addicted to shopping have low self-esteem and a high need for excitement. (2)There seem to be two types of addicted shoppers. (3)One is the daily shopper, who cannot miss a single day at the stores. (4) The other is the binge buyer, who goes shopping weekly to buy huge numbers of things.
13. The topic is
b. shopping addicts
c. the daily shopper
14. The main idea is stated in sentence
Read each paragraph and choose its pattern of organization.
Walking can be a rewarding experience. For one thing, walking lets you see firsthand what's going on in your neighborhood. In addition, a brisk walk is an excellent and inexpensive form of exercise.
15. The pattern of organization is
City and country dwellers give different reasons for living where they do. People who live in cities mention good-paying jobs and closeness to cultural events. On the other hand, people who live in the country talk about a slower pace of life, clean air and water, and friendly neighbors.
16. The pattern of organization is
Meditation has been found to have a wide variety of effects. It commonly results in great relaxation. It has also been found now and then to cause such negative effects as anxiety and even depression.
17. The pattern of organization is
b. cause and effect
A phobia is an irrational and extreme fear of some object or situation. One example is a fear of heights that is so extreme that one cannot drive over bridges without trembling. Other common phobias include fears of snakes, water, and enclosed places.
18. The pattern of organization is
c. definition and example