Apply for Award
MLK Day of Service awards vary up to $10,000. Funds are given to support the awarded service project. Applications are due by 4 p.m., November 17 and notification of acceptance will be mailed by December 15. Applicants must attend an information session to apply.
Learn more and get help applying for an award at a mandatory info session at State College of Florida, Building 5 Room 123, 5840 26th St. W, Bradenton. RSVP for an information sessions at MLKservice@scf.edu or 941-752-5178.
- Mon., Oct. 27, 6-7:30 p.m.
- Thurs., Oct. 30, 6-7:30 p.m.
- Sat., Nov. 1, 10:30 a.m.-noon
- Mon., Nov. 3, 6-7:30 p.m.
- Thurs., Nov. 6, 6-7:30. p.m.
Types of Projects
Projects for the MLK Day of Service should help transform the community and may include:
- Economic opportunity
- Support of veterans and military families
- Neighborhood project
- Clean energy or environment stewardship
- Disaster preparedness
- Public safety
Service Award Criteria
Project's Outcome: Provide narrative of project's goals and agenda, number of people who will be served and impacted by the project, and how the project will positively transform the area.
Volunteerism: Involve enough volunteers to complete your project. Each volunteer must complete and submit a Volunteer Photo Release Information form.
Theme: Since service and volunteerism are planned as a tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King's vision of a collaborative community, values of non-violence, racial equality and social uplift, explain how the service project illustrates Dr. Martin Luther King's legacy.
Community Engagement: Ensure that others in the community volunteer to participate in your project so that your group or organization is not taking on too much alone.
Project Budget: Provide financial information about the proposed service project. This information should include a detailed budget.
For consideration, applicants must provide the following:
- physical project that helps transform the community
- application with all project questions and appropriate documentation, completed one or before November 17, 4 p.m.
- signed letter of acknowledgment and support from any organization(s) receiving the service of the project (Letter of acknowledgment should be printed on the applicant's official letterhead and signed by a person within the organization with signing authority to make commitments on behalf of the organization)
- signed letter(s) of support from organizations participating in project (Letter of support should be printed on the applicant's official letterhead and signed by an authorized representative)
- name of project manager (including title and organization) that will administer the awarded project
- accurate, itemized budget
- copy of an IRS W-9 tax form