Services to SCF Faculty and Staff
How you communicate your program or event to the public is as important as the message itself. The Creative Services and Marketing department serves as your central source of assistance and information for all marketing and public relations communications purposes. We are here to supply you with the collateral material that you need to best promote the College and your program.
Creative Services and Marketing is designated to handle the distribution of any College-related news or promotions that you need communicated to the media. Fill out the Creative Services and PR Request Form to request a news release.
Speaking to the Media
The Creative Services and Marketing department is responsible for initiating, responding to and coordinating with the media on all communications related to College matters and/or requests to be on College property. The special assistant to the president will participate when appropriate. This includes reporter, editor, photographer and announcer requests from print, TV and radio broadcast and all other media. If you are contacted directly by the media on College matters:
- Refer the reporter to the public information coordinator if the questions concern College policy, procedures, programs or operations.
- Refrain from making statements as a representative of SCF unless coordinated by the public information coordinator.
- Inform the public information coordinator about any requests to appear on a radio or TV station or as an identified subject of a printed news story.
Please contact Jessica Klipa, public information coordinator (#65690 or #65320), with any questions regarding media relations.
Use of SCF Logo
The SCF logo is a legally registered trademark that requires the official service mark (SM) to be affixed to the bold "SCF" in all uses and applications. Creative Services and Marketing is responsible for the appearance and approved usage of the College logo. Advance written approval is required before each use of the logo. For more information or to request use of the logo, contact Chris Manring, marketing coordinator.
Publications and Advertisements
Creative Services and Marketing is responsible for any promotion of College events, programs and special projects through the use of printed materials, advertising and promotional products. Fill out the Creative Services and PR Request Form to request the completion of any printed piece or ad. Contact Chris Manring, marketing coordinator, with any questions that you have about this process.
Please go to our Print Ads page to view recent advertisements.
The use of photography is a compelling way to promote a program or event. Creative Services and Marketing chooses from its collection of photographs as well as stock photography for its publications, promotions and Web communication. We can also use photos that you supply if they are high resolution and of suitable quality. If you take your own digital photos or use someone else's digital photos, these guidelines should be followed:
- You must have a model release signed and on file if you use a photo with a recognizable face. Request the SCF Model Release Form from the marketing coordinator.
- Give yourself photo credit. Example: Photo by John Doe.
Photos by someone else
- If you want to use a copyrighted image, you must obtain written permission for use from the copyright holder.
- If the photo is not copyrighted, but you know the identity of the photographer, give the photographer credit.
- Make sure a model release is on file with the copyright holder, the photographer if not copyrighted, or in your files. Request the SCF Model Release Form from Chris Manring, marketing coordinator.
Each program or department is responsible for ensuring that its pages on the SCF website are kept up to date. An individual or individuals in each program or department should be assigned this responsibility. Please go to the SCF Web Publishing Guidelines page for policies that govern the look and content of SCF's website. Please contact Debra Gingerich, director of creative services and marketing, with any other questions about the website and its content.
Please see the Staff Listing for more information on the Creative Services and Marketing staff members and how we can help you market your program or project to the public.
College Rules & Policies, Procedures & Practices
Re: News Media Contact
"The office of public affairs & marketing is responsible for all media in promoting and marketing all College events, programs and special projects, and in issuing news and responding to inquiries about same."
Re: Advertising (off-campus)
"The use of advertising by any College department to promote events and/or programs must be approved by the office of the president or a College administrator designated by the president.
Advertising pertaining to College-wide and/or department special events or program will be designed by the department of public affairs & marketing and approved by the College president or a College administrator designated by the president." Board Rule 6HX14-1.09
Re: Advertising (on campus) from off-campus enterprises
"The president or a College administrator designated by the president may approve the distribution of selected materials which are determined by the president or the president's designated representative to be informative in nature and in the best interests of students and/or employees. The College shall not be used as an agency for the distribution of advertising materials from off-campus enterprises without the above approval." Board Rule 6HX14-1.10
Re: College Logo
"The SCF logo is a legally registered trademark that requires the official service mark (SM) to be affixed to the bold "SCF" in all uses and applications. The public affairs & marketing department is responsible for the appearance and approved usage of the College logo. Advance written approval from this office is required before the logo can be used.
Re: Guidelines for College publications
"All College publications in any format, including printed, recorded and electronic, such as brochures, catalogs and handbooks pertaining to College programs and events, shall be approved by the College president or an administrator designated by the president, prior to publication, duplication or broadcast." Board Rule 6HX14-1.19
- All publications and materials (other than those used solely for instruction and/or administrative offices) to be duplicated by SCF's central services department are required to be approved by the office of public affairs & marketing.
- All publications and materials (other than those used solely for instruction and/or administrative offices) to be printed and/or typeset by an outside vendor are required to be initiated with and approved by the office of public affairs & marketing.