Join 50th Anniversary Celebrations April 21 & May 12
(Bradenton, Fla., April 14, 2007) - Manatee Community College (MCC) invites area residents, MCC alumni and staff, and future students to join in the college's celebration of its 50th anniversary from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, April 21, at MCC Bradenton, 5840 26th St. West. The event features free food and drinks, scholarship drawings, campus tours, entertainment and educational activities. There will be plenty of free parking.
MCC became the first public institution of higher education in the Manatee/Sarasota area when it was chartered in 1957 by the Florida Legislature. The college now serves more than 9,000 credit students and 22,000 residents taking noncredit classes. More than 31,000 people have graduated from MCC and gone on to pursue bachelor's and advance degrees, begin new careers or start businesses.
Highlights of community celebration activities at MCC Bradenton include:
- Magician, carnival games, circus performers, face-painting, dunk tank and martial arts demonstration
- Obstacle course, gladiator joust, bounce house, Homerun Derby, rock-climbing wall, football toss and bungee run
- MCC Idol contest
- Jungle Gardens animals and G.WIZ Hands-on Science Museum
- Classic car show
- MCC scholarship drawings ($1,500 value, every 10 minutes)
- Sweet Adelines (1:30 p.m., Neel Performing Arts Center)
- Portraits by MCC Art Dept. and wood-sculpting demos
- MCC Jazz Band, MCC Choir and local bands
- Health fair, educational exhibits and campus tours
- Wing Fest - You be the judge!
- Ceramics sale
- Closest to the Pin Golf Contest
- Suncoast Mummers (12:30 p.m.)
- Meet the WCTQ-FM 106.5 DJ at live broadcast
Another community celebration is planned from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., May 12, at MCC Lakewood Ranch. For a schedule of the days' events and to download a map, visit the college Web site at www.scf.edu/50.