Passwords are an important part of your cyber security. Predictable or weak passwords can compromise an entire network or sensitive data. Be sure to select strong, secure passwords wherever passwords are necessary.
- are at least eight characters long
- include at least three of the following characteristics:
- numeric character (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9)
- special character (!,#,#,$,%,^,&,*,=,etc.)
- lower case character (a,b,c,d,e,f,g,etc.)
- upper case character (A,B,C,D,E,G,F,G,etc.)
- are not shared with anyone
- are not posted, emailed or written down
- do not contain your username or any part of your name
- do not contain information about your family, friends or pets.
- A mnemonic can make a good password easier to remember. You can base your password on a song, phrase or book.
- You can substitute special characters for letters and numbers. For example , use "!" to represent "one, " "4" to represent "for" or "()" to represent the letter "o."