ACP Application Minimum Requirements Checklist
The ACP is a 7-month program for individuals holding bachelor's degrees seeking to earn a Profesional teaching certificate.The cohort program begins three times per year (January, May, August) at the three State College of Florida campus locations. Classes meet two nights per week from 6:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. and one Saturday per month.
To be considered for admission to the SCF ACP, interested applicants must:
*September Cohort applicants must have an Eligible Statement of Status of Eligibility from Florida Department of Education (FLDOE) and at least one (1) test score from Florida Teacher Certification Exam ( FTCE) before entry into the Alternative Certification Program .
- Apply for a Statement of Status of Eligibility (SSE) from the Florida Department of Education (FLDOE) at www.fldoe.org/edcert. There is a $75 application fee for each subject requested. The turnaround time varies depending on the time of year and how quickly the DOE receives all documentation.The DOE will require official transcripts (sent directly from each institution to the DOE) from all institutions attended.
- You will need to download the application from our website and submmit it by mail or as an email attachment.
- Complete SCF application (www.scf.edu) online. You will be required to prove that you have been a resident of Florida for at least one year prior to admission to be eligible for in-state tuition. Apply as a non-degree seeking, transient student in Personal Enrichment. When the Educational Records office has received an official transcript, you will be admitted to the ACP officially.
- Submit an official transcript from the institution that granted your bachelor's degree to the Educational Records office (5840 26th St. W, Bradenton, FL 34207). This transcript must be sent directly from your institution to SCF. The Educational REcords office will not accept hand carried transcripts even if they are in sealed envelopes.
- Take at least one of the required Florida Teacher Certification Exams (FTCE). To be admitted to the program, you must have an SSE that indicates you are eligible for Temporary Certification. If your statement indicates that you are not eligible, you must take the Subject Area Exam (SAE) first. If your statement indicates that you are eligible for Temporary certification, you may take either the SAE or the General Knowledge Test (GKT) before being admitted. If you took and passed all portions of the CLAST exam before July 2002, you will be exempted from the GKT. Most exams are administered at computer test centers. Go to (www.fl.nesinc.com) to register for tests and for information about locations and hours of testing centers.
A completed application will include:
- ACP application
- SCF campus application for admission to the college including residency documentation and an official transcript from the institution that granted your bachelor's degree
- 1 page philosophy statement (see ACP application for information)
- Eligible Statement of Status of Eligibility from the FLDOE
- FTCE score(s)
- Interview with a member of the ACP staff
All documentation with the exception of the SCF application and transcript may be sent to:
Dr. Susan Sheffield
State College of Florida
7131 Professional Parkway E.
Sarasota, FL 34240