Online Course Information
General Information for State College of Florida RN-B.S.N. Online Students
Course Format: Courses are typically offered in a 5 week format with 3 core courses offered each major semester (fall and spring) and 2 core courses offered in summer. This format allows students to focus on one subject area at a time. Some courses may last longer than 5 weeks and overlap other core course. Students will need to complete the 45 hour Community and Public Health practicum requirement within the State of Florida.
Synchronous class meetings will require students and instructors to be online at the same time. Lectures, discussions, and/or presentations occur at a specific time. All students must be online at that specific time in order to participate.
Asynchronous class meetings allow instructors to provide materials, lectures, tests, and assignments that can be accessed at any time. Students are given a timeframe during which they need to complete requirements.
Attendance and Participation: Upper level online nursing courses will not require face to face meetings. However, as class needs dictate, optional face to face meetings may be offered. Faculty may meet with students individually and in small groups – both face to face and via the live chat feature in the Learning Management System.
These are not self-paced courses. Once your course is opened you may access the course at any time from any computer with access to the Internet. Students are expected to regularly login to the course website in order to complete learning activities and actively participate in the class. The purpose of online education is to allow students with hectic schedules to take classes. Thus, having a "busy week" or other demanding situations is not a valid excuse for incomplete coursework.
Online Course Technology Needs:
Regular and reliable access to the internet for online courses Just as you need reliable transportation to get to face-to-face classes, you must have regular access to the Internet to get to your online class.
- Windows 2000, XP or later
- Pentium 4 or newer
- 512MB RAM available
- Broadband Internet connection (DSL, Cable Modem, T1, etc.)
- A tripod is highly recommended
- Headset with integrated microphone
- Office 365 is freely downloadable for all SCF students.
- Video recording equipment to record speeches and assessments. There are a variety of types of cameras available. You should have a camera that produces a high-quality recording. The video feature on most digital cameras, cell phones, etc., is not acceptable.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader. Throughout the semester a variety of handouts will be distributed in Adobe Acrobat format (.pdf files). To view and/or print these you must have Acrobat Reader installed on your PC. You may download it for free at http://www.adobe.com/.
- Word processing software capable of saving files in Rich Text (.rtf) format installed on the PC you use to access this course. You will type your assignments and submit them as a word processing document file. All assignments must be submitted in either Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx) or Rich Text (.rtf) format.
- Flash Player – Free. http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
- Ability to provide and/or receive synchronous and/or asynchronous video and audio recording.
- Ability to send and receive documents electronically (e.g., fax, copier, scanner, email attachments...)
- USB flash drive
- SCF and/or State of Florida issued identification (e.g., State ID or driver's license)
NUR 3066C – Health Assessment and Physical Appraisal
Access to or student's own:
|Penlight||Reflex hammer||Rosenbaum card|
|Snellen chart||Stethoscope||Tuning fork|
|Human volunteer for assessment exercise(s)|
NUR 4636L – Community and Public Health: Practicum:
- Current unencumbered, unrestricted Florida RN license.