Readmission Policy: Students may reenter the Dental Hygiene Program within two years of withdrawal and be considered for advanced placement in the program depending on resources available. Dental Hygiene Courses taken more than two years prior to readmission may need to be repeated. In cases of significant curriculum revision, courses taken less than two years prior to readmission may have to be repeated because of the change in content in the course. A student may be readmitted to the Dental Hygiene Program ONLY ONE TIME. Students who are readmitted will be tested in the basic skills up to the withdrawal point in the program to assure competency in didactic information and clinical skills. An individualized educational plan will be developed as needed for the student’s readmission.
Readmitted students who return to the program will be held to the policies and procedures of the college catalog and student handbook that is in place for the semester in which they are returning.
Applicants for readmission will be accepted on a space available basis and must meet the following admission criteria:
1. Must be completely redone if the student is out of the Program two or more long semesters. (Fall and Spring)
2. A Tuberculosis Skin Test must be done annually (chest films good for two years) and up-to-date at the time of admission.
America Hearth Association, BLS for Health Care Provider CPR Certification:
1. Certification is good for two calendar years. The student must maintain current CPR certification while enrolled in the Dental Hygiene Program. If the current certification expires prior to the anticipated graduation date, the student will be required to complete another CPR course while in the program. Failure to maintain a current CPR certification will result in immediate withdrawal from all clinical courses and dismissal from the program.
2. If the current certification expires prior to the anticipated graduation date, the student will be required to complete another CPR course while in the program.
3. Failure to maintain a current CPR certification will result in immediate withdrawal from all clinical courses and dismissal from the program.
Background Checks/Drug Tesing/Fingerprinting:
Must be completely redone if the student is out of the Program for two long semesters or more. (Fall and Spring) Based on the results of these checks and screenings, students may become ineligible for readmission into the program. Please refer to the current Dental Hygiene Program handbook for Background/Drug testing/Fingerprinting policies.
Readmission after enrollment in just one semester in the program: Any student who previously was accepted and initiated taking courses in the Dental Hygiene Program, but withdrew or did not successfully complete the courses in the first two semesters (Summer and Fall) of the program, will not be eligible for advanced placement. The student will need to reapply to the program and will be considered for admission with the pool of “new” applicants for the Fall semester. Readmission will be on a space available basis and is not guaranteed.
Readmission with unsatisfactory grades: If the student leaves the program because of unsatisfactory performance after completion of the first two semesters (Summer and Fall), the student has the option to apply to re-enter the program and repeat the unsatisfactorily completed course(s) depending on resources available. The student must make an appointment with the program chair at least one semester prior to the anticipated remediation entry date for planned enrollment in DEH 2903 Special Topics in Dental Hygiene. The student and the program director will develop an Educational Plan to focus on the remediation of skills and knowledge. This plan must be successfully completed prior to the start of the semester the student is to re-enter the program. Failure to satisfactorily complete the remediation plan and any other requirements identified in the educational plan will cause the student to forfeit reentry into the program. Students who exercise this option are advised that dental hygiene courses are only offered once per year. Therefore, the student must wait one year to re-attempt courses. Students who successfully complete repeated courses will be allowed to continue in the program from the point in the curriculum where they originally exited. Readmission options can only be used one time.
Applications for readmission to the Dental Hygiene Program are available through the Dental Hygiene Program Department (Bradenton - Bldg #2 or on the website: