Questions about the Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education program?
Program Description/Employment Options for Graduates:
The Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education (with emphasis in birth through age 4 teacher certification) Program is a unique program that is designed for students seeking employment in the field of child care and children’s services. The program fulfills the legal requirements being implemented for Head Start teachers and directors, the requirements included in the Florida Statutes regarding Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten (VPK) teachers, and the point system for the child care center certification process promoted by Florida’s Office of Early Learning (OEL) under the Department of Education (DOE) and the Early Learning Coalitions (ELC) throughout the state. The program prepares students to be highly qualified teachers (including VPK and Head Start) and managers or administrators of programs. The degree prepares participants for teacher certification as well as equips them to meet the requirements for workplace retention or hiring within a high-quality setting for this age group.
If you are thinking about becoming a teacher, please visit this link to the Florida Department of Education website.
Admission Requirements for the Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education Program:
Admission to the Bachelor of Sciences in Early Childhood Education will include:
- A 2.0 GPA on a scale of 4.0
- Completion of 45 semester hours. Included in this must be ENC 1101 and MAT 1033 (or a course at that same or higher level).
- Successful completion (i.e. a grade of C or better) of at least 50 percent of the prerequisite courses.
Current SCF students Wanting to Apply to the B.S. in Early Childhood Education:
1. Sign on to SCF Connect
2. Select “Student Tab”
3. Select “Banner Self ‐ Service”
4. Select “Student Services and Financial Aid”
5. Select “Apply for Admission to Limited Access and Baccalaureate Programs”
6. Select “Display Application Information” - Application Menu: Select "New"
7. Locate the Application Type Drop Down Box: Select the Desired Program Application
8. Complete the Application Process