Retake Policy and Fees
It is the policy of SCF that students can take the PERT only one time per term. A "term" is defined as the Fall, Spring, or Summer term per the College's official calendar. The test is administered for student placement into the appropriate reading, writing and mathematics courses, or other designated courses that have placement test scores as a prerequisite.
Note: There is a retake fee of $10 per subsection for eligible testers.
I. Eligible for Placement Test Retake
Students are eligible to request a retake of the placement test under the following circumstances:
A. Never attempted a college preparatory course:
1. Have not attempted a college preparatory course in the subject area for which they are requesting a retake;
2. Test scores are at least one term old; and
3. Have the appropriate department chair approval to take the test due to special circumstances
a. Step One: Submit a request to the department chair.
b. Step Two: Upon approval, the department chair will notify the student and the assessment/testing center.
B. Attempted a college preparatory course: Students may retake the placement test upon the recommendation of the department chair.
1. Upon instructor recommendation, the request will be forwarded to the appropriate department chair.
2. Upon department chair approval, the chair will notify the student and the assessment/testing center where the student will make the required arrangements to retake the placement test.
3. Students who are disabled should submit their written requests directly to the disability resource center.
II. Ineligible for Placement Test Retake
Students are ineligible to retake the placement test when their request is based, but not limited to, the following reasons:
A. Students who were not prepared for the test at the time of testing.
B. Students who currently are enrolled in the college preparatory course for which they base their request.
C. Students who wish to circumvent remedial courses by retesting.
D. Students who were not aware of the significance of the testing at the time of testing.
A. Students requesting to appeal the department chair findings may submit their written appeal to the associat vice president of academic quality and success.
B. Disabled students requesting to appeal the department chair findings may submit their written appeal to the vice president of educational and student services.
The findings of the associate vice president of academic quality and success or vice president of educational and student services are final and will be mailed to the student requesting the appeal within ten (10) working days after receiving the request. A copy of the letter will be filed in the assessment/testing center.
Retake Testing Fees
SCF has implemented a placement assessment retest fee of $10 per subsection beginning July 1, 2010.